Saturday, September 18, 2010

Today is Saturday

I have to keep reminding myself what day of the week it is. They all seem to blur into one. Last saturday night I went to a girls' night out at a friends place and decided to stop at Woolies to pick up some delicious treats. I drove into the car park but they were shut (it was about 7:15pm). I could not for the life of me work out why they were shut. Wasn't until I was retelling the story that a friend of mine pointed out the fact that it was actually saturday and Woolies shuts at 4pm. I thought it was friday. Oh dear.

And now to my Top 5: Most loved Books (Fiction). These are the books that I go back to time and again and never get bored with them.

1) The Mark of the Lion Series
A very moving and enriching series written by Francine Rivers. It is set in Ancient Rome and is the story of a slave girl, Hadassah. Beautifully written, I cry every time I read these books.

2) The Foggiest
by David Belbin
I was given this book by my grade 5 teacher Mrs Van der Weyden. I have read this book over, and over, and over, and over ... In fact, I last read it only a couple of months ago. This is the blurb:
"As the Gunn family move into their new Derbeyshire home, a strange fog descends over the country. At first, Rachel and Matt Gunn are as baffled by the fog as everyone else. But when their father disappears from his job at the weather station, the two youngsters decide to investigate - and soon discover the sinister truth behind the fog ..."

It's amazing how a book I was given at the age of 10 can still entertain me at the age of 29.

3) Clive Cussler
Ok, ok, I know he is not a book but frankly, I have found it too difficult to decide which one of his I like the most so I have narrowed it down to 3: The Chase, The Wrecker and The Spy. Plus any of the Dirk Pitt novels. Great action, fabulous locations, dreamy men and some classic one liners.

4) Heidi
by Johanna Spyri
Written in 1880 it is the story of a little girl, Heidi, who, at the age of 5 is sent to live with her grandfather in the Swiss Alps. He is a recluse and a very grumpy old man who is at first very reluctant to look after Heidi but through Heidi's persistance, and being an inquisitive and loving 5yr old, he gradually softens and deals with some incidences from his past. A beautiful story about hope and love. If you haven't read it, you should definitely get your hands on a copy.

5) What Kay Did
by Susan Coolidge
This book was first published in 1872 (around the same time as Little Women). It is about Katy Carr, a tomboy who is constantly getting into mischief but really just wants to be beautiful and loved. When she has an accident and becomes an invalid, her illness and recovery teach her to be the person she always wanted to be.

There are two sequels, What Katy Did at School and What Katy Did Next.


Of course, I have many, many more books that I absolutely love and adore but then it would probably be my Top 500 Books. And frankly, I know that even for cyberspace, that list would be a little too much. But please, enjoy my list and hopefully you may be interested in reading one of the books from my list, for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment